Dice Images: Multi-Color Polyhedrons

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Re: Dice Images: Multi-Color Polyhedrons

Post by Jmr3366 »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:36 pm
More dice images for your enjoyment.
I'll be tossing some credit your way for the dice!!
It's not done but getting closer...
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Al6_vh5ZO29wgWdQuUk ... b?e=tCxOWm

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

I wanted to share (if you didn't already try / do this), but if you load your red 480x480 die set into gimp (all of them on one layer)

Then use Hue-Saturation (select R), then use the slider Hue and you can pick any color of the rainbow without needing to re-render, etc.

So if you get one marble set done for example, I would attempt the other colors using Hue adjustments over re-rendering but obviously a proper render will always be better.

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

Another set and addressing some earlier comments:

Amber Dice Images:

Dice Images - Plastic Amber.zip
(3.11 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Spoiler
Dice Images - Amber.png
Dice Images - Amber.png (905.05 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:05 pm
Some bad news though... I did just notice that all of the d4's are missing shadows... up-side is that it's just the d4's! ;)
A curious thing about the shadow on the d4's: It has shadow turned on, it's just not evident. The way the lighting is set in the scene, the d4's don't actually cast off a shadow in any direction. The lighting comes down on the pyramidal shape in such a way as the shadow is not seen. If the "sides" of the dice were vertical or overhanging, as is the case with all the other shapes, the shadow would be much more apparent. Not sure if there's anything to be done there. I hope it's not one of those things that "once seen, can't be unseen".

Incidentally, the d4's are the hardest dice to work with to get right. Their weird shape just causes havoc with the lighting effects. I think I spent more time orienting and positioning the d4's to get them to look natual than all the other dice combined. It was very difficult to get the dice faces to illuminate the way I wanted them to without looking washed-out or too dark compared to the other dice images.

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:05 pm
Speaking of which, have you had a chance to look at the rounded dice model I shared above?
I did, and hopefully my latest offering incorporates some of the softer edges shown in that example. I simply enlarged the radius on my CAD models. I think the results are nice and will serve as the template for future plastic dice. I intend to recreate all the original colors in the plastic style that I uploaded in my very first post.

One thing I hadn't even considered, but just raises the number of combinations exponentially, is changing the text font on the dice faces. The dice in the example had a different font, and that got me thinking . . .

Full Bleed wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:26 am
Sure. It uses a typical table data storage method that I use in my framework, but I'm sure you can adapt it to your own.
. . .
I add sets to my campaign in a couple minutes with this.
Thank you for sharing your code Full Bleed. I was looking for a way to quickly update my tables, and this will certainly help!

Jmr3366 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:15 am
I'll be tossing some credit your way for the dice!!
It's not done but getting closer...
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Al6_vh5ZO29wgWdQuUk ... b?e=tCxOWm
I love seeing the work being done with these images. It certainly makes the effort worthwhile. I'm glad you (Jmr3366) were able to get something working.

And lastly:

Jmr3366 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:49 pm
I wanted to share (if you didn't already try / do this), but if you load your red 480x480 die set into gimp (all of them on one layer)

Then use Hue-Saturation (select R), then use the slider Hue and you can pick any color of the rainbow without needing to re-render, etc.

So if you get one marble set done for example, I would attempt the other colors using Hue adjustments over re-rendering but obviously a proper render will always be better.

. . . as you said, "a proper render will always be better." I agree, and I think I'll stick with that for now. I appreciate the timesaving suggestions though. Always welcome.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments and input! Enjoy!
Last edited by gunnarskeep on Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:37 am
Amber Dice Images:
These look great. Thanks.
A curious thing about the shadow on the d4's: It has shadow turned on, it's just not evident. The way the lighting is set in the scene, the d4's don't actually cast off a shadow in any direction. The lighting comes down on the pyramidal shape in such a way as the shadow is not seen. If the "sides" of the dice were vertical or overhanging, as is the case with all the other shapes, the shadow would be much more apparent. Not sure if there's anything to be done there. I hope it's not one of those things that "once seen, can't be unseen".
Heh, I do notice it now that I've "noticed it", but they're d4's and those aren't used much. ;) If I cared enough about it I could create some "false" shadows in Photoshop... but it's not that important. I just thought I'd mention it in case it was a matter of only having to "turn them on."
One thing I hadn't even considered, but just raises the number of combinations exponentially, is changing the text font on the dice faces. The dice in the example had a different font, and that got me thinking . . .
Yeah, font and font color can certainly add some spice to the dice. Here is a good color-finder site to find complementary colors and other good color combinations: https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

I'm finishing up integrating Amber (awesome stuff BTW).

It seems the amber die were slightly offset from the prior dice you shared.
Not that it matters a ton, created some extra steps to make them match the others.

Not sure if you're willing to share but what is on your radar regarding:
How many more sets are you planning (or just ad-hoc) and what types they could be?'

Again nice work !!

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

I have completed a total re-render of all the original dice I uploaded when I first started this thread. Thanks to all the wonderful suggestions, these are a HUGE improvement over the originals! These are plastic in appearance, as opposed to the metallic images I've included so far. Take a peek:

Spoiler
Dice Images - New Colors.png
Dice Images - New Colors.png (410.99 KiB) Viewed 4155 times

Blue Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Blue.zip
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 37 times

Bubblegum Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Bubblegum.zip
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 33 times

Cyan Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Cyan.zip
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 40 times

Dark Gray Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Dark Gray.zip
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

Green Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Green.zip
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 34 times

Olive Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Olive.zip
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 33 times

Plum Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Plum.zip
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

There is a limit of eight (8) file uploads per post, so I will include the rest in the following post. There's a new set (camouflage) included there as well!

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

Here are the remaining original sets. I created a new camouflage set for you to enjoy as well!

Pumpkin Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Pumpkin.zip
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 37 times

Red Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Red.zip
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
Spoiler
Dice Images - Camouflage.png
Dice Images - Camouflage.png (688.27 KiB) Viewed 4155 times

Camouflage Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Camouflage.zip
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

Addressing Jmr3366's comments:
Jmr3366 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:26 am
It seems the amber die were slightly offset from the prior dice you shared.
Not that it matters a ton, created some extra steps to make them match the others.
That may be. I have played with the positioning of the dice to get them right. These new originals and the camouflage set all used the amber set as the template file, so at least these should all align. No guarantees that future dice will be perfectly aligned, but I will do my best to avoid moving them if that is going to be an issue.

Jmr3366 wrote:
How many more sets are you planning (or just ad-hoc) and what types they could be?'
This is slow going, I know, but I have completed what I set out to do, and that was to re-render all the original sets. That's done, and I added the camouflage set to the bunch. As far as what's on the radar now, I want to create some translucent plastic dice, and I will experiment with some speckled and spotted colors.

I have no set quantity planned, and will add more as I feel inspired to do so. Are there any specific patterns you'd like to make a priority?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Thanks for all the new sets! :)
gunnarskeep wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:05 pm
I have no set quantity planned, and will add more as I feel inspired to do so. Are there any specific patterns you'd like to make a priority?
Some types I'd like to see:

Metal: Gold, Silver/Chrome, Copper (shiny and worn/aged variants?)
Raw Stone: breccia, marble, sandstone, granite, slate
Polished Gemstone textures: tiger eye, agate, amethyst, citrine, corundum, jasper, snowflake obsidian, smokey quartz, sunstone, pearlescent
Faceted Gemstone: ruby, diamond, emerald, sapphire, peridot

*On the faceted gemstones you might want to move the light source around a little bit, otherwise they'll just look like different hues of one type (so no reason to re-render them).

And many plastic dice have some great textures... swirly and iridescent and sparkly... ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Here are the remaining original sets. I created a new camouflage set for you to enjoy as well!

Jmr3366 wrote:
This is slow going, I know, but I have completed what I set out to do, and that was to re-render all the original sets. That's done, and I added the camouflage set to the bunch. As far as what's on the radar now, I want to create some translucent plastic dice, and I will experiment with some speckled and spotted colors.

I'll take whatever you give . . .

Nice new sets to integrate into the roller, you've set a nice bar for yourself :).

I'll leave the patterns and whatnot to Fullbleed, he's full of good feedback :p.

EDIT I'll make one ask re: a die color, that being Yellow mainly because that was an OG color when D&D was released. My "hue mod" yellow isn't up to par with your work.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jmr3366 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:51 pm
EDIT I'll make one ask re: a die color, that being Yellow mainly because that was an OG color when D&D was released. My "hue mod" yellow isn't up to par with your work.
What color crayon did you use on the numbers? ;)

EDIT:

Which brings a thought to mind... is there any way to add some "use" to the renderings?

Here are some of my oldest dice...
Spoiler
some old dice.jpg
some old dice.jpg (154.1 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
Now, I'm not advocating that much abuse...;) But maybe a little wear and tear and imperfections on some sets would add a bit of realism.

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:37 am
That may be. I have played with the positioning of the dice to get them right. These new originals and the camouflage set all used the amber set as the template file, so at least these should all align. No guarantees that future dice will be perfectly aligned, but I will do my best to avoid moving them if that is going to be an issue.
Would it be too much to ask if you'd be able to include the 120x120 die sets on one PNG / WebP file?

Like what you've done in the "spoilers" you post. I have been using that spoiler image as the template for my die animation autohotkey script that chops everything up and exports them out.

It would save a lot of time for me if you'd be able to share those "all die on one sheet" images :D

Thanks!!

EDIT
Disregard this request as I'm redoing things to use your defaults instead :)
Last edited by Jmr3366 on Mon May 16, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Pumpkin Dice Images:
Was adding some of the new sets today and I think the pumpkin dice would look better with black numbers or maybe even glowing yellow numbers. Would have a more jack-o-lantern vibe then. ;)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

gunnarskeep wrote:
*jonesing for some new dice* :P

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:53 pm
gunnarskeep wrote:
*jonesing for some new dice* :P
Seconding this :p, look what you started and now we don't want you to stop

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

The punishment for a job well done is more job.

Return to “User Creations”