Dice Images: Multi-Color Polyhedrons

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Re: Dice Images: Multi-Color Polyhedrons

Post by gunnarskeep »

Oh man . . . the subjects are getting restless!

I've been neglident in my duties, I'll admit. With the process more or less nailed down, you'd think I should be able to release new dice sets MORE frequently, not less.

Well, here are five (5) new sets to hold you over. I have three more coming soon. I've tried to create some to satisfy the offered suggestions with varying degrees of success.
Spoiler
Dice Images - New Colors (2).png
Dice Images - New Colors (2).png (296.32 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Full Bleed wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:10 am
EDIT:

Which brings a thought to mind... is there any way to add some "use" to the renderings? . . .

. . . maybe a little wear and tear and imperfections on some sets would add a bit of realism.
Cyan (Worn) Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Cyan (Worn).zip
(3.07 MiB) Downloaded 21 times

Jmr3366 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:51 pm
EDIT I'll make one ask re: a die color, that being Yellow mainly because that was an OG color when D&D was released. My "hue mod" yellow isn't up to par with your work.
Lemon Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Lemon.zip
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 25 times

Full Bleed wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:39 pm
Was adding some of the new sets today and I think the pumpkin dice would look better with black numbers or maybe even glowing yellow numbers. Would have a more jack-o-lantern vibe then. ;)
Jack-o-Lantern (Lit) Dice Images:
Jack-o-Lantern (Lit).zip
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 24 times

Jack-o-Lantern (Unlit) Dice Images:
Jack-o-Lantern (Unlit).zip
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 21 times

And finally a translucent set similar to the Amber set:

Translucent Red w/ Green Numbers Dice Images:
Translucent Red w Grn.zip
(2.78 MiB) Downloaded 27 times

taustinoc wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:36 pm
The punishment for a job well done is more job.
I think you mean, "The reward . . ."! :P This is so true!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:02 pm
I've been neglident in my duties, I'll admit. With the process more or less nailed down, you'd think I should be able to release new dice sets MORE frequently, not less.
You could consider sharing your methods and tools to do this to enlist some help if the process has become something of a "chore" for you... some other enterprising users might start producing some sets...
Well, here are five (5) new sets to hold you over. I have three more coming soon. I've tried to create some to satisfy the offered suggestions with varying degrees of success.
Thanks!

I'm not viewing these on an ideal display right now, but here is my quick feedback:

1) The "worn" effect just kind of looks speckled... a little too uniform to actually make the dice look organically imperfect.
2) I like these pumpkin color schemes better. For the "lit" version... what do you think about putting a yellow light source inside the dice and having the letters actually have a more "glowing" effect? That might even produce an interesting visual result on some of the translucent dice...
3) Definitely adding the new red/green translucent dice to my player selection list.

Looking forward to the next sets! :)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Red/Green set is very cool and realistic looking. The orange/black set reminds me my "ugly orange" dice as my friends use to say.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:51 am
Red/Green set is very cool and realistic looking.
I think the translucency adds another level of texture to the dice making them appear a lot more realistic.
The orange/blank set reminds me my "ugly orange" dice as my friends use to say.
Players do seem to take a little extra offense at being hit by an "ugly" die. My players learned to fear my "Mr. Pink" d20. It got to the point where I only brought him out for special occasions. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

maclud
Kobold

Post by maclud »

hello there!

double post from the Visual Dice Rolling Overlay v3.x thread.. but just in case someone else is interested.

I spent my week sick in bed, just working on some more dice for the display plugin.. and this took a lot longer and was more difficult than expected :/ ohh and didnt help with the headache

I zipped everthing there -->
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
converted to webm 120px and 480px and added the blurry ss files in the 120px folder.

small issue with the shadows however, I saw you used keyshot for the render and wondered if it could easily retrieve the ao/shadows from there or if you used a trick in gimp/photosh ('cause the photosh script i made this week is not doing so great, either adding a 1px ugly fringe around the dice or messed up the cast shadows)

I guess this will do for now (what do you people think?)
i might just use a simple drop shadow next time
Attachments
maclud-1-batch.jpg
maclud-1-batch.jpg (137.01 KiB) Viewed 2667 times

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

maclud wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:03 pm
I think the shadows look ok... maybe not perfectly accurate for a plane being located directly under the dice and perhaps a little light... but good enough.

In continuing my suggestion/question from the die roller thread about making translucent dice translucent (the body of the dice, not the numbers)... I did a quick mock-up of the effect, and I think it makes the dice look a little more realistic against the maps. Here is a test die with the diamond dice being at 80% (20% transparency). The shadow got lighter and all the dice numbers aren't preserved perfectly, but I think you'll get the idea. If it's easy to do I think it's a worthy improvement... if it's a challenge, not so much.
Sample trans 80.jpg
Sample trans 80.jpg (56.02 KiB) Viewed 2658 times

maclud
Kobold

Post by maclud »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:25 am
maclud wrote:
I think the shadows look ok... maybe not perfectly accurate for a plane being located directly under the dice and perhaps a little light... but good enough.

In continuing my suggestion/question from the die roller thread about making translucent dice translucent (the body of the dice, not the numbers)... I did a quick mock-up of the effect, and I think it makes the dice look a little more realistic against the maps. Here is a test die with the diamond dice being at 80% (20% transparency). The shadow got lighter and all the dice numbers aren't preserved perfectly, but I think you'll get the idea. If it's easy to do I think it's a worthy improvement... if it's a challenge, not so much.

Sample trans 80.jpg
good point thanks .. next render will look more like this ...
Attachments
transparent_test.jpg
transparent_test.jpg (51.45 KiB) Viewed 2655 times

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

maclud wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:19 am
good point thanks .. next render will look more like this ...
Beautiful. :)

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

Here are three (3) new sets.

Spoiler
Dice Images - New Colors (3).png
Dice Images - New Colors (3).png (231.68 KiB) Viewed 2645 times

Plastic Fractal Green w/ Lavender Numbers Dice Images:
Plastic Glass Clear w/ Sky Blue Numbers Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Glass Clear w Sky Blue.zip
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 22 times

Plastic Speckled Green w/ Red Numbers Dice Images:
Dice Images - Plastic Speckled Green w Red.zip
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 22 times

maclud wrote:
small issue with the shadows however, I saw you used keyshot for the render and wondered if it could easily retrieve the ao/shadows from there or if you used a trick in gimp/photosh ('cause the photosh script i made this week is not doing so great, either adding a 1px ugly fringe around the dice or messed up the cast shadows)
KeyShot handles all the shadowing for me. I set up the position of the light, and KeyShot handles the rest. I don't do any manipulation in GIMP. The only thing I use GIMP for when creating these dice images is converting them from .png to .webp image format. This greatly reduces the size, with no quality loss (learned that from Full Bleed, thank you very much!).

maclud wrote:
Your dice are beautiful! And a lot more variety than what I'm offering at this point. Great work!

maclud
Kobold

Post by maclud »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 pm
Your dice are beautiful! And a lot more variety than what I'm offering at this point. Great work!
thank you ! I'm in the "zone" since last week :wink: trying to make the most of it while it last ....

I really like that last clearglass of yours ! well done also ! (would never have had the idea to work on some dice myself if not for the amber set you made :D )

will maybe try keyshot next time, couldnt get a proper shadow pass and transparent layer at the same time with mine (I had to recomp most of it in postprod)

Btw Does anybody know the joy of making something half-asleep in 3 minutes, forget to save, and then spend 2 whole days trying to recreate the effect ? :x

anyway... compromised for making the number readable on both white and darker background.Not perfect, I just realised I used the wrong font, could probably be even more transparent (but the 120px seems seriouly clearer and more transparent before the webp export, the 480px seems ok however ) I know that could be improved but I release them just in case I cant do better this week, or if I forget to save a ps script this time and crash the laptop against the wall in frustration...

both files transparent-blueglasstest-120+480.zip and plexitest-120+480 in --->
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... k-E9rANSIU
Spoiler
transparent_release-1.jpg
transparent_release-1.jpg (175.45 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

maclud
Kobold

Post by maclud »

and here's the second batch... :wink:

version 120px -->
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yCJ6_A ... sp=sharing

version 480px + 120px -->
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TGkFh8 ... sp=sharing
(you can copy the SS version for the sprite animation if needed from the 120px folder to the 480, or make your own.. will make ss file in 480px size next time)

- some funky weird dice, not always readable but were fun to make...
- Added the 2 transparents test of this week
- before you ask, no, the 2 green gems in here are not transparent "yet", sorry
- added also an unfinished pixelized set of dice for no reason...

next batch probably during summer...
have fun !
Attachments
2ndBatch.jpg
2ndBatch.jpg (157.09 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

maclud wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:57 am
These are all really nice.
I've updated the map file with these as well !!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

maclud wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:57 am
Sweet stuff.

The hard part will be limiting the number of sets in my campaign now... my relatively "lean" campaign file is getting kinda fat! ;)

maclud
Kobold

Post by maclud »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:27 am
The hard part will be limiting the number of sets in my campaign now... my relatively "lean" campaign file is getting kinda fat! ;)
[/quote]

haha sorry ;) after all are done I'll probably make different tables for each campaign (cyber/medFan/etc...) that should help (unless one player want to use an hello kitty set for his d&d barbarian )
btw I'm keeping the tesseract name for the next batch (already tested some very weird renders that could go well with it)

if someone have any idea for new dice visuals I can try something....

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

This may be too much of an ask but asking never hurts :)
@maclud or @gunnarskeep

Would either of you be willing to create a set of narrative dice:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... h-res).pdf

I was attempting to use existing sets and Gimp to transform the images on to the die (overwriting the numbers) but it looks like crap LOL

Return to “User Creations”