Guide on how to build Backstory & Charactor stats before starting RPG

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

luckypenther
Kobold

Guide on how to build Backstory & Charactor stats before starting RPG

Post by luckypenther »

The loop if more flesh was put into the descriptions , then it could be made to tell a story, eg went south, then I was attacked by skelitin, I fell into a cave, I found my way out and went north, I found some treasure... you could let it write a story, even better expand the loop over 100 situations.

in the loop the treasure could be stat points STR CHA INT etc.., or armor or weapons etc..

If I was pushed to give a use for this it would be to build a back stoy and character stats in an RPG

The Endless adventure dungeon, by Mark Ainsworth 140867

before you read, please realise the dungeon could easiy be a car chase, or gold could be blood in a WoD game, or the health of 10 could be changed, etc... just don't take it to literaly, its about an idea for a loop that can be endless

start off at situation 1. you start with 10 health and 1 armor, 0 gold,0 reputation. if you get a point of damage you reduce your armor(if the armor is zero, you reduce your health). your objective is to gain 10 reputation & as much gold as you can carry, your final XP is reputation multiplied by gold. this dungeon is a D6 dungeon, but I have a planned d10 and D100 dungeon

(situation 1) roll a D6 for the following result - roll a 1 go forward to situation 1,roll a 2 go back to situation 1,roll a 3 go left door to situation 2,roll a 4 go right door to situation 2,roll a 5 stumble to situation 3,roll a 6 find a monster to situation 4.

(situation 2) roll a D6 for the following result - big room roll a 1 go forward to situation 2,roll a 2 go backwards to situation 1,roll a 3 go left door to situation 2,roll a 4 go right door to situation 2,roll a 5 find treasure to situation 5,roll a 6 find a monster to situation 4.

(situation 3) roll a D6 for the following result - regain footing roll a 1 go forward to situation 1,regain footing roll a 2 go backwards to situation 1,fall through hole roll a 3 to situation 2,activate trap roll a 4 go to situation 6,roll a 5 find treasure to situation 5,roll a 6 find a monster to situation 4.

(situation 4) roll a D6 for the following result - roll a 1 run forward to situation 1,roll a 2 you were hit for 1 point of damage to situation 4,roll a 3 kill monster (reputation + 1) to situation 1,roll a 4 kill monster & find armor(reputation + 1 armor + 1) to situation 1,roll a 5 kill monster & trigger magic effect to situation 6,roll 6 find another monster to situation 4.

(situation 5) roll a D6 for the following result - roll a 1 find 5 gold go to situation 1,roll a 2 find 10 gold go to situation 1,roll a 3 find 30 gold go to situation 1,roll a 4 find 50 gold go to situation 1,roll a 5 stumble to situation 3,roll a 6 find a monster to situation 4.

(situation 6) roll a D6 for the following result - roll a 1 magic harmlesly disapates go to situation 1,roll a 2 magic strengthens you (health + 1) go to situation 1,roll a 3 You are teleported to situation 2,roll a 4 magic blast (hit for 2 points of damage) go to situation 1,roll a 5 find 25 gold to situation 1,roll a 6 find a monster to situation 4.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Guide on how to build Backstory & Charactor stats before starting RPG

Post by aliasmask »

Okay, time to play a game. AI Bot or not a Bot. Vote below.

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

I tell you with ChatGPT catching BOTs and AI is going to be tough.
Is there a captia on account creation that is "tough enough"?

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Since it a) has nothing whatsoever to do with MapTool and b) doesn't actually make any sense, I gotta go with bot.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

b0t
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

Bot.

Besides, this is nothing new. Traveler did it decades ago. Your character could literally live an entire life in Chargen. Amusing as it was there's a reason it didn't catch on.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

metatheurgist wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:12 pm
Bot.

Besides, this is nothing new. Traveler did it decades ago. Your character could literally live an entire life in Chargen. Amusing as it was there's a reason it didn't catch on.
I was telling my friend about Traveler the other day saying you can die during character creation.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

metatheurgist wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:12 pm
Bot.

The original Traveller also didn't have any experience rules (those didn't show up until book 4). I believe the idea was that you'd roll up a new character for each new adventure (if not session, given how deadly combat is).

No surprise that didn't catch on.

Return to “General Discussion”