MapTool Marketing Video (Call for Help!!!)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

brad
Great Wyrm

Re: MapTool Marketing Video (Call for Help!!!)

Post by brad »

Looks like the square lighting is on the way out. Or maybe I could have one of the two tokens I click on with square and one with circle?

I was worried about adding more content as I want to keep it below 3 minutes. But, I suppose showing some random encounter for 20 seconds would be a good way to fill time in a spot that has nothing that really fits in there and show off some features.

Any other ideas for the part where I talk about Windows/Apple/Linux? All I could come up with as well was fading in some sort of symbol that is related to them.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Also...:

what pops to mind are Is the large amount of community created maps some are freakn awesome you could show a 20s sequence with a different map every 2s "and this is a taste of what's readily available from our community... Again for free..."

you can also show some different states: stunned sleep drunk dead frenzy etc

one other thing you could add are lighting effects. Check my sig for examples. Though I can help you cook some up if u like.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Great work.

As well as maps you could show some of the (user created) frameworks for all the different games that are available (again for free ...). These can make look MT so different (eg my DitV framework vs any of the common D&Ds).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:Great work.

As well as maps you could show some of the (user created) frameworks for all the different games that are available (again for free ...). These can make look MT so different (eg my DitV framework vs any of the common D&Ds).
how do you 'show' frameworks, AFAIK FW are a bunch of buttons (macros), wouldn't that not be more confusing than 'enlighting' on a 20s video sequence? Or do you have something else in mind, like a forum overview or so? (which I also have problems picturing).

Im not saying that you shouldn't cause the fact that that are loads of FW available makes MT more attractive, but I do have a problem 'picturing' that in a clear way.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Good point. It might be difficult to introduce the different frameworks in a few seconds.

But showing how a skill check here and how an attack there is performed and how the charactersheet in a third framework looks like might succeed in 4-8 secs and could show what vast amount of possibilities lies in the macro system.

I just thought of first opening maptool and finding it sadly empty/pure and couldnt imagine what was possible at all...

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I will see what I can display in that 20 seconds or so. Though the time goes faster then you think. Unless you want things so rushed that you confuse everyone and they have no clue what I am demonstrating, I will only get 2 or maybe 3 examples in that 20 seconds.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

I'd shoot for two that show off as many features as possible, at least in the background. A person can pick up on a lot of that stuff, esp. if they watch it a second or third time. :)
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I would like to get some opinions and feedback on a couple things. I am using this video to sort of flesh out what I can and what I should do concerning the new options in this version of camtasia. Mainly I am talking about the transitions and the callouts(words on the screen, highlighting areas, drawing circles and arrows). I want to be consistent across all my new videos.

First the transistions. In the first one from the title page I was trying to be sort of over the top/fun, but not annoying and gaudy. I figured it is not really into content yet and MapTool is all about fun. After that I was only going to put in transitions when we were switching between concepts, so there will be another 2 or so in this video. The second transition I thought was more tame. Very traditional video gameish. Blur from one part of the story to the next. That was going to be my standard transitions. Wolf, from you comments I gathered you were actually ok with the first transition, but thought the second one was cheesy and over the top. That is the opposite of what I thought. So, I would like more thoughts and reasons from you and everyone else on this. I want to get a consistent look across all my new videos.

Second, the callouts. When I first saw these options I thought "Wow, these could be REALLY useful", which was immediately followed by my second thought "Wow, these could be easily overused and get REALLY annoying". So, what do you think of how I have used them. I am trying to only use the arrows/circles/highlights at the beginning of a sequence when people eyes might not be in the right spot or if I have switched the location of the action in the middle of a sequence and peoples eyes might not be looking there yet. The word splashes are being mainly used for clarification or emphasis. You thoughts on how I used them in this video?

Thanks for any feedback!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

First:
Yes the second transition was more tame than the first, no misunderstanding there. What I meant is, if you like to play with them I would use 1 maybe 2 'special' transitions and these can be a bit more elaborate like the first one you use (they all look cheesy to me, but cheesy aint bad as long as you don't overdo it :D ). For the main part I would suggest to keep it simple, so clean break for minor transitions (possibly with a 2-3s sound shift) and a fade in/out for the major ones.
Note that this remains a matter of taste...

The call-outs are great! They do have a bit of a cheesy look and feel about them (I get a bit of an 80's batman series feel when I see them), but they're helpful and an enrichment for the film, so as far as im concerned they're a keeper.

When I look at it though I miss the drama, Im unsure you can get it into this film and whether its doable with maptool. But what would be great is the the introductory movie (with our suggestions) in the 2:30 min. And then have a 1 minute drama scene with some over the top bombastic classical movie music (requiem of vivaldi or mozart, also sprach zarathustra by Strauss, The Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner, O fortuna (Carmina Burana) by Orff etc.) depicting a battle combined with chat discussions. Though this sounds great in my head I have great trouble envisioning it cause MT is dynamic, but not THAT dynamic... still I think it would be a real kicker to end the movie with.
Stuff you could do:
- movement of large band
- fog of war with a different color
- hidden enemies which appear (or teleport in)
- fire cone or template blast
- some chatting
- states on tokens (on fire, stunned, wounded, cirtically wounded, dead, frenzy)
- charge attack
- varies size monsters

jashuabasset
Kobold

Post by jashuabasset »

Saagael wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:10 pm
I'm interested in helping out with this. I have quite a few fancy maps that could be used. One of them would be perfect for showing off VBL, as well as a map or two that show off maptools' built-in map-making abilities. Question though, do you want audio commentary on the video? I expect not, since then you'd have multiple different voices throughout. How about text box overlays that explain some of what is going on.

And does anyone have a program that records what's happening on the computer screen, that is free and decent quality? I haven't ventured into this area of video production yet.

I'd post pictures, but I'm not on my main computer. I will post some later tonight or tomorrow.
Bandicam is best option for this, Because I have been using it for a long time
Jashuabasset

Regardsing
This new and amazing WhatsApp Plus

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Don't really have any maps that aren't copyrighted but I did make this: https://youtu.be/xGYAzX6NVzc . I know it's kinds long but it is meant for my framework.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

Return to “User Creations”