MapTool Marketing Video (Call for Help!!!)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool Marketing Video (Call for Help!!!)

Post by jfrazierjr »

heyes wrote:That being said, I have one question. Particularly in the macro section of the video it looks like there are tools there that are not implemented in the current release (1.3b56). Specifically I mean the character sheet interaction stuff. Is this already possible, or something in development?

Thanks
What do you mean? Any character sheet stuff is more than likely a user created framework item, and I am not sure if a marketing video is a place for that, especially if what is shown is for a specific game system. Again, not having seen the video's(darn, I might just have to break down and watch at work during lunch), I can't give specific comments, but I would expect and hope that that this marketing video stays firmly in the realm of what is possible with Maptool without getting to any specific implementations of it (as best as possible.)

Now... with that said, there is a macro tutorial with a made up game system (thanks Craig, Phergus, and others who worked on that) being bade in pdf/wiki format and if we want to put in a character sheet from that in the advanced macro part, that's probably not as bad IMO.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I am waiting until this afternoon, when I should have a chunk of time, before I start responding to posts, clarifying, giving my thoughts, etc..., but jfrazierjr you should really break down and watch the video before you comment on it any more. :wink: I already know your thoughts in general about the concept of this video(you have mentioned them before), I would rather your specific thoughts on what was made.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

jfrazierjr wrote: What do you mean? Any character sheet stuff is more than likely a user created framework item, and I am not sure if a marketing video is a place for that, especially if what is shown is for a specific game system.
When you get a chance to watch the video you'll see what I mean. I did understand that the macros in question were part of a framework, not part of the maptools capabilities per se, but the way in which the macros could, say for instance, equip a weapon, and create a tabbed character stat set, that seemed pretty advanced. Again I am still learning the basics, but the suggestions and examples of what can be done (in that arena) were beyond what I thought maptools could do.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Everything in the video is possible with the current version of maptool.

I passed the link to the video to a friend of mine who games but has not used maptool (much). His comments were (with some minor editing):
They skip over how difficult or hard it is to set up light and vision (while for the rest they give a how to). They also might mention if there are tutorials (especially video tutorials).

Also whether or not you have to use a separate program for chat and or voice chat that can host multiple users.

Also a play example would be helpful to go along with the simple map creation.
I absolutely agree that Brad should place a big fat link to the video tutorials at the end of the video. They are one of the biggest draws to the program as they allow new users to jump right in. A simple map in which VBL can be added with snap to grid and a lightsource dropped in would be nice so people can see how easy it is.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

brad wrote:I am waiting until this afternoon, when I should have a chunk of time, before I start responding to posts, clarifying, giving my thoughts, etc..., but jfrazierjr you should really break down and watch the video before you comment on it any more. :wink: I already know your thoughts in general about the concept of this video(you have mentioned them before), I would rather your specific thoughts on what was made.
One the whole, it was very good. The biggest complaint I would have would be that the transitions between scenes seem quite rushed (and in one or two places, your commentary is a bit rushed sounding as well). That said, it's not a huge deal, but if I had one complaint on what you did do, that would be it. I really like the idea you had of making 2-3 copies of this will slightly different stuff in it.

As I said, I think the best feedback would be from friends of those who use Maptool to watch it (especially non technical people who would have a totally different perceptive that me as a techie coder type) and get their comments. I think it is invaluable to have the feedback a few others have posted from their friends.

Oh yea.....thanks for using your time to make all of these videos. I believe this is a wonderful way to give back to the community and really appreciate the time you have given up to put into this project.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

heyes wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote: What do you mean? Any character sheet stuff is more than likely a user created framework item, and I am not sure if a marketing video is a place for that, especially if what is shown is for a specific game system.
When you get a chance to watch the video you'll see what I mean. I did understand that the macros in question were part of a framework, not part of the maptools capabilities per se, but the way in which the macros could, say for instance, equip a weapon, and create a tabbed character stat set, that seemed pretty advanced. Again I am still learning the basics, but the suggestions and examples of what can be done (in that arena) were beyond what I thought maptools could do.
Ok.. i watched it and am still not understanding your question.. sorry. Is it the fact that you did not know that stuff was possible? Those advanced macros came from Veggiesama's D&D 4E Framework. Note that going to the extent of functionality Veggiesama has it not something for the average user, but there are many things possible and most of what was shown has at least mostly available for the past 10 builds or so.

For example, Rumble has made a combat only framework for D&D 4E (it, it does not track any equipment, skills, etc) which attempts to automate combat by making attack rolls and then comparing the attack roll + bonuses against the target's defense and then automatically applying damage and states to the target token(s). This speeds up play quite a bit because then the DM does not have to spend the time to apply the damage and/or states to each hit creature. The side effect is that you would have to manually "undo" in cases where a creature used an ability that canceled an attack before it completed.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I liked it.

The only thing that bothered me is the first part where you say it isn't a computer program, but a platform.

It is a computer program. :P ;)

I think you wanted to say it isn't a computer game.

Nice job though! It really gives a user an idea what Maptool is.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

The biggest complaint is that it is rushed, which is very true. I kept looking at what the times were adding up to and telling myself "talk faster", "can you cut out that sentence", "what else can I cut" and so on. I seem to be the only one concerned with the length though. :lol:

So, I am going to set my new goal time at 9 minutes. That gives me almost a full minute more to play with. Adding 5 or 10 seconds here or there will make a big difference. As I reshoot different scenes I can relax a bit and things won't or just be so rushed. Also, in a couple spots I will be able take some of the above advice and quickly show how easy it is to add a light source or change the vision settings between none, day, night. Instead of just having light and vision magically happen.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I think the light point was more to do with the part where you say - 'I just took 4 minutes to set up the light settings' and that raised a suspicious eyebrow from the guy viewing it. Perhaps a couple of seconds of showing how you lay down VBL would do the trick, ideally on a map where it can be done using snap to grid.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Natha wrote:
brad wrote:Ok, here is the first rough draft.
- imho it lacks a few screenshots (or a short "scene") of frameworks making extensive use of HTML (like DeviantNull's) and almost don't need the use of macro panels.
The problem is that while someone like myself who is technical minded would love to look at multiple macro sets and the different interfaces and outputs and so on, but for most people watching macros work is boring. They just want to know that more is possible in the intro video. With everything else there just isn't room for more then one or maybe two examples.

Also, I am just working with what people sent me. This type of video sucks a lot more time then my normal tutorial videos. So, I am not creating or hunting anything down myself. I am just using what the community sends me. Saagael sent me a nice campaign file, with a great map, with tokens and that macro set ready to go. It was the only macro set I received, so the choice was easy. :)

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Natha wrote: - Perhaps a quick note about the ability of MT to handle foreign languages game/frameworks ? (like patoace's spanish one)
How do you switch languages in MapTool? If it is easy I would like to show it. I know with a framework it is just part of the programming, but in the notes for some of the builds I see notes about people working on translation for MapTool. How does someone take advantage of that?

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Natha wrote: - a very short "teaser" video (based on this one), (like 30s) with graphic titles like "Draw maps quickly !", "Play online !", "Light & vision !" etc. would be nice ?
That would be vary far down on my list. Though if someone else wants to take a stab at such a video, maybe adding music to it also, I am all for it. I could render my final draft in .avi format, quicktime, or a couple others. Whatever works for whoever wanted to play.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

torstan wrote:That's very nice indeed. Good work.

One or two initial comments - I'd suggest using the double click the dice image in the dice table as the first example of a roll. I know people won't end up using that, but it's the most user friendly dice rolling mechanism there. Then move on to typing. I'd also suggest that the opening scene be maybe 10-20 seconds of gamplay with other people - so that we see a PC exploring into a room, vision being revealed and a big monster appearing - Devin's dragon would be cool! I don't know whether it would be better as a GM or player view shot, but seeing others moving their tokens and their names show up should very quickly convey what this tool is all about.
Starting with a couple quick graphic dies rolls would be easy enough to add. That segment was so badly rushed, it really needs to be reshot anyway. Maybe a good way to have a big monster appear with vision could be in the opening scene. When the two adventurers are going through part of torstan's dungeon and see the evil mage by the magic circle. I could be a little more zoomed out, so I don't have to scroll around, and have the dragon sitting in the room looking at them, instead of the mage casting his spell. Maybe a quick quote in the chat window saying something like "So, do we run for our lives back down the hallway or through this other doorway?"

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

brad wrote: How do you switch languages in MapTool? If it is easy I would like to show it.
Well, it's automatic and based on the OS/Java I think.
So ... I made a silly suggestion as it won't be easy to show that ...
(unless the devs can point you to some kind of trick to make MT think he is running on a foreign OS)
ImageImageImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

torstan wrote:Also, a very minor point, but could you say 'create your own macros' rather than 'program your own macros'? I know that the more complex ones are certainly programming, but the simple ones don't require a programmer to create.
Minor but good point. I also say "The creator or this macro set took great pains to..." Pain is probably be a word I avoid as well. Again a subtle thing, but it makes a difference.

Return to “User Creations”